Thursday, September 27, 2007

Anson's First Bug

Anson has been feeling bad since Sunday. Dave's parents were at the house and Anson had a runny nose, drooling, congestion and was fussy. This continued on Monday. Tuesday he was a little worse and I had initially made a Dr. appt. for him to be seen. I called the nurse to ask a few more questions and we ended up cancelling the appt. and I agreed to keep an eye on him. He had a low-grade temp. The highest was 100.3. I wasn't worried about that. Well, Wednesday he wouldn't drink anything and ate about half of his normal amount. He was still having normal wet diapers, so he was alright there. Today he cried while he was eating lunch. He would still eat, but would be crying the entire time. I got on the phone. I had to work at 3p, so Dave came home early to take him to the Dr. office. The diagnosis: hand-foot-mouth virus. Now, this is something that is passes through droplets, usually sneezing, runny nose, etc. The symptoms show their ugly face 3-7 post exposure. He was at daycare Friday for 2 1/2 hours! That's it and this is the result. I feel so guilty. I can't even begin to tell you how horrible I feel. Not as bad as Anson, but I feel pretty darn guilty. I know he has to get sick. I know. We've been very lucky with his health. I know. It's just amazing how sick he is after such a short period of exposure. The Dr. says it should be over by Saturday. The poor little guy has a nice size ulcer in his mouth which explains the food aversion. He doesn't have the rash that usually pops up. Thank goodness. So, no more daycare for now. I'm scared to death to take him back!

1 comment:

Sam said...

Awwww! Poor little guy! I was wondering if he was feeling better. Don't worry! It'll all be over with soon. He'll have a hefty immune system after a few more bugs! Scary, huh?!